I am going to give you our recipe. As you will see, there is much variation to the recipe based on your individual tastes and your ability (or non-ability) to handle hot things. Here is the recipe we make:
- 5 to 12 tomatoes (depending on how hot you like your salsa)
- 1 jalapeno (we leave the seeds in)
- 3 to 6 cloves of garlic (depending on how much garlic flavor you like)
- 3 green onions (if you like it hotter and with more onion flavor, you can use 1/2 of a red onion or brown onion in this step)
- lemon juice (a couple of squirts)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- optional - sometimes we add in garlic powder or ground cumin
We use a food processor to chop it all up. First we do the tomatoes so that they are somewhat chunky still. Then, we put the jalapeno, garlic and onion all in and puree that. Stir it all together and add in the lemon juice, salt, pepper and whatever other spices you like. Test with a chip. If you are out of chips, saltine crackers make a fine substitute!!
I will try to post pics of the process sometime, maybe later, if I get the urge to make some more.